BENJAMIN KINROSS BUSTON
PROFILE: I am a CELTA qualified English teacher with three years’ experience and a law degree. I have previously taught IELTS, First Certificate and AISET exam preparation classes. I have taught in Vietnam, Spain and England. I am a very hard-working and dedicated teacher with a highly effective, targeted approach to improving my students’ language skills. I am able to build good rapport with my students and create a positive learning environment in my classes. I speak four languages which has helped me to enhance my students’ language acquisition. I have taught business and banking English to employees of Accenture, Deloitte and Agribank. I have also worked for law firms in London and NGOs in the UK, Africa and Asia. I have lived in Vietnam for a total of two and a half years.
2003 CELTA (Grade B), Lewis School of English, Freixa 5-9, Barcelona 08021, Spain.
1994 LLB Law Degree (2:2), London School of Economics, University of London. 1990 A Levels: History(A) Law(A) French(B).
2016 English Teacher – Ky Nguyen Language School, 101 Nguyen Thai Toc, Vung Tau, Vietnam.
- Taught IELTS and banking English classes.
- Developed a good understanding of IELTS techniques.
- Successfully improved students’ ability to use IELTS techniques and their IELTS levels.
- Received positive feedback from students in teacher assessment surveys.
2014 – 2016 English Teacher – AIC Teacher Projects, 21 Nguyen Huy Tu, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Taught on government projects teaching Vietnamese English teachers.
- Demonstrated exceptional classroom management skills.
- Significantly improved students’ speaking skills with effective communication activities.
- Was always in the top two teachers on my campus in student surveys.
- My students achieved excellent results in the AISET exam.
2013 – 2014 Supporter Care Team Leader – Rethink, 89 Albert Embankment, London, SE1 7TP.
- Managed the supporter care team for a major UK charity.
- Managed the organization’s events fundraising.
- Wrote and project managed the production of the supporter magazine.
- Kept the website up to date and created website features.
2011 – 2012 Bank worker – Citibank, 1 Plaza Catalunya, Barcelona 08002, Spain.
- Provided customers with banking services, advice and assistance.
2005 – 2010 Supervisor – Gogen, The Colourworks, 2a Abbot St, London, E8 3DP.
- Responsible for managing up to fifty callers telephone fundraising on behalf of NGOs.
- Coached callers on all aspects of telephone fundraising.
- Wrote fundraising scripts and briefed callers on NGO campaigns.
- Prepared the day end financial report and caller schedules using Excel.
2005 English Teacher – Rose of York, 14 Hallem Street, London, W1W 6JG.
- Taught students from pre-intermediate to advanced level.
- Created an effective learning environment for students.
- Noticeably improved students’ English levels.
2004 English Teacher – Institut Europeu D’Idiomes, Pons i Gallarza, 1-3, Barcelona 08030, Spain.
- Taught students from pre-intermediate to advanced
- My First Certificate class had a 100% pass rate.
- Created a positive and upbeat learning environment.
- Achieved strong student performances in end of term tests.
- During this period I also taught business English to employees of Accenture and Deloitte.
2000 – 2003 Took a career break and travelled extensively in Africa, Europe, Asia and Latin America. During this period I studied Spanish and Portuguese.
1998 – 2000 Legal Advisor – McMillen Hamilton McCarthy Solicitors, 67 Burdett Road, London E3 4TN.
- Prepared immigration applications, appeal hearings and High Court judicial reviews.
- Developed rigorous analytical skills and high impact written and verbal negotiation skills which resulted in an exceptional success rate.
1997 – 1998 Legal Advisor – Roelens Solicitors, 2 The Boulevard, London, SW17 7BW.
- Provided legal advice and representation in relation to immigration law.
Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, Raiser’s Edge, Internet, Social Media.
English (fluent), Portuguese (good), French (good), Spanish (good).
Trinh Ha Thu, Manager, AIC, 21 Nguyen Huy Tu, Hanoi, Vietnam.
Natalie Boucly, Country Director, United Nations Development Programme, Burundi.